Suspected Highland Park shooter Robert Crimo bought his guns after his father sponsored his license

Three months after alleged Highland Park gunman Robert Crimo called police to his family home after threatening to ‘kill everyone’ inside, he has applied for his first landlord identification card. gun (FOID), under the sponsorship of his father.

In September 2019, when Mr. Crimo, then 19, was two years too young to legally obtain a firearms license, Illinois State Police were called to the shooter’s family home alleged after receiving a call about a “clear and present danger” report after he threatened to “kill everyone” in his family.

Authorities reportedly removed 16 knives, a sword and a dagger from the house, the Chicago Sun-Times reported, but no charges were laid and Mr. Crimo was not arrested.

In initial reports, police said the suspected shooter was not known to authorities before the horrific Independence Day massacre. This report was later changed when police reported that there were two incidents of law enforcement being called to Crimo’s home in 2019.

In April 2019, police came to the Illinois home where Mr. Crimo was staying after threatening to kill himself, and the second case was the day in September 2019 when he said he would kill everyone there. family home interior.

Two months after police were called to Crimo’s Illinois home, Robert ‘Bob’ Crimo Jr, the alleged shooter’s father, sponsored his son for a FOID card, which was approved a month later in January 2020.

In response to questions about why authorities approved the permit, which came just months after police were called to the family home following threats by the 19-year-old to harm and harm himself to his family, authorities said there was “no sufficient basis”. to establish a clear and present danger and to reject the FOID request”.

Mr. Crimo passed four background checks when purchasing his guns, all conducted in 2020 and 2021, well after the 2019 incidents that came to the attention of police, according to state police.

The parents of Mr. Crimo, who has been charged with seven counts of first-degree murder and other charges are expected to follow in the coming days, the Lake County State’s Attorney said, released a statement regarding their son’s ongoing case.

“We are all mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, and this is a terrible tragedy for many families, the victims, the protesters, the community and ours. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to everyone,” said Denise Crimo and her husband, Mr. Crimo.

Authorities told a news conference on Tuesday that the AR-15-style rifle Mr. Crimo had taken to the route of the July 4 parade in Highland Park, where families, friends and local residents turned up. were gathered for Independence Day celebrations, had been purchased legally. A second rifle was also discovered inside Mr Crimo’s car when he was arrested after an hours-long manhunt through the city.

Several firearms were later found inside Mr Crimo’s home after law enforcement searched the premises with a search warrant.

All of the firearms were legally purchased from multiple locations in the nearby area and registered under his name, police said.

Highland Park has an assault rifle ban, which was put in place by the current mayor in 2013.

If convicted on all seven counts of first-degree murder, Mr. Crimo will face a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.